We’ve been reading a book by Elizabeth George and in the fist chapter it talks about making your home welcoming. Really, I think more then anything that is what I want my home to be, welcoming. I want folks to long to come back and sit a while and enjoy their time in our home. I am convinced that to have a welcoming home it doesn’t have to be perfectly decorated.
Mostly when I think about our hallway the most important thing is that it is clean and tidy because almost anyone who comes to our home eventually goes into our hallway. You have to go through the hallway to get to the bedrooms or the guest bathroom. So it would be nice if they weren’t tripping over our junk. I just don’t think tripping over sports equipment and homeschool books says welcome to our humble home.
Things we have already done to the hallway:
- painted the hallway
- replaced the original nickel light fixture with an antiqued bronze light
- added a night light
- moved the hallway switch
- spray painted all the light plates antique bronze
- replaced nickel door knob with antique bronze knob
- set up a witnessing table
Things we are still going to do the hallway:
- Paint the bookcase white
- Replace 4 nickel knobs with antique bronze knobs
- paint the little table burgundy and decoupage the toile fabric on the shelves
- sand the floors and put down a dark finish.
- repaint all the trim
- Find some great baskets
- add a plant
- picture, toile or an initial in the frame
It often takes me a long time to find what I am looking for since our budget is usually next to nil. So creativity is crucial.
So what projects are y’all working on? And is anyone else looking forward to summer so you can actually finish some projects???
Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.