So I ran across this math program while I was reading some classical homeschool blogs and one of the ladies was raving about this program I hadn’t heard of and how it was revolutionizing the math in her homeschool. So I popped on over to their website to see what all the fuss was about and I was hooked. From the moment I saw Dr D’s Math I was impressed. But I had already purchased all of my math curriculum for that year so I planned on enrolling my pre-algebra student in his Algebra readiness program over the summer. Then she began to struggle in her current pre-algebra programs and we were spending hours on lessons. My tutoring was turning into teaching and the other students in our homeschool were suffering. So in the end we decided to check out Mr.D a little sooner then I had planned.
We are completing the self paced pre-algebra curriculum that MrD offers.
This program fits well into a classical homeschool and in my opinion would fit well into pretty much any style of homeschooling.
What is included:
- Online Pre-Algebra Course (He offers courses through Pre-Calculus)
- You will receive 2 emails one with login instructions and the other has course information. The second email contained 6 “How-to” videos that explain how to get started with Mr.D Math and get you and your student up to speed quickly.
- There are NO BOOKS purchase! But don’t worry your student will receive plenty of practice.
How it’s set up
- The curriculum is divided into assignments (which contain chapters & lessons)
- Pre-Algebra started out with 178 lessons.
- You will print out worksheets & utilize the website ixl
- There is a midterm, final exam, assignments and mini quizzes
- Their academic year is from August to May for live courses
- His website is intuitive so you don’t waste a lot of time trying to figure stuff out! That is a big bonus for me.
How we use it in our home
The subtitle for the section could be Welcome to Easy Street!
- My daughter works through the lessons in order.
- First you watch the video that accompanies the lesson and Mr. D teaches your child the new mathematical concept or reviews an old one. This is really important to me because I am able to maintain my role as tutor. But by the way she hasn’t needed me to tutor her at all since we started this program. That is a HUGE change.
- Then she may print out several math problem sheets (instead of purchasing a book you will print out a lot of problem sheets) each day and they answer those problems and correct them.
- Or she might go to ixl to do some fun math activities that cover the subject they just covered. My daughter also really enjoys going to this website to complete the extra activities.
- In order to monitor her progress I simply keep track of what lesson she is doing and I review her grades on line. When you enroll and you are able to log into Mr D’s Student interface, you can go to the dashboard and on the right hand side it tells you how many lessons the student has left. I just write that number into my planner so I can make sure she is making good progress.
Why I Absolutely Love This Product!
While I was watching his pre-algebra video I was immediately impressed with how he teaches a student to do their word problems and how he explains the language of math. I was a B+/A- student all the way through College Calculus but I didn’t truly understand math. I was one of those kids who memorized how, when and what I needed to do to get the right answer. But I wasn’t fluent.
He talks about how math is a foreign language, I have never thought about math like that. He goes on t o say that like any other foreign language it simply needs to be mastered. After watching the his videos I gained additional insights into math that I didn’t have. We have been doing this course for about 2 months and we have kicked our other curriculum to curb because my daughter is both excited about math and she truly understands the concepts. She is becoming fluent in Math! As Parker said “Mr. D makes difficult math concepts simple.” We will be continuing our upper level math journey with Mr.D and as my husband says math will be on “easy street”!
I received this curriculum & compensation in exchange for an honest review. Read our full disclosure policy.Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.