We have been plugging along for years doing Saxon but this year it became evident that although she has always done well in math she wasn’t understanding some of the new concepts that were being presented. Additionally, I was rapidly moving from tutor to teacher and this was affecting the flow of our entire homeschool. So i launched into an exploration of Math programs that would provide her more support and allow me to slide back into my role as tutor. Here are the various math programs that I found around web and a brief overview of them. There are links to detailed reviews of each program at the bottom of the post.
- Mr.D Math is an online math program.
- You have a choice between the self paced class or the online class. My daughter has been doing the self paced Mr. D Math program for about 2 months now and she absolutely loves it. Well, she loves it as much as she has ever loved a math curriculum. She turned to me the other day and said, “She didn’t understand integers until doing Mr D Math.” She then ran through about 10 integer problems smiling wide.
- Mr D covers Pre-Algebra to Pre- Calculus and has both SAT Prep & Summer Programs
- Mr. D wrote his own curriculum there are no books to purchase
- CTC Math is another online math math program.
- Offers a Placement Test
- There is no live option for CTC
- It is a complete Math program for grades K-8 and a supplement for grades 8+ (Although it is a complete curriculum many homeschoolers use it as a supplement to what they are already using)
- Redbird Mathematics is also an online program.
- Gifted & Talented program
- Covers K-7th
- Designed to meet the requirements of Common Core.
- Teaching Textbooks is a CD based Math Program.
- Placement Test
- Covers 3rd- Pre- Calculus
- Spiral Math Program
- The program even grades the students work before they can go on . This is an extremely popular program with homeschoolers.
- A+ Interactive is a complete Math curriculum that has several different levels.
- Placement Test
- Cover’s 1st- Algebra 1
- CD Software & Online platform available
- Interactive Parent Portal which includes the ability to lock the answers
- Automatic grading and tracking
- ipad & tablet compatible
Math Drill Sites
Xtra Math is basically computerized math flash cards. We have used it with all of the kids and find it to be an excellent way to teach the children their facts.
Math U See Drill page enables the student to pinpoint any math facts that he is struggling with and concentrate on those. We have used this with a couple of kids to get them over a hump.
Reviews of Online Curriculums from my friends at iHN:
- Aspired Living review of MrD Math – Pre Algebra
- Learning Styles and Interactive Prealgebra by Sara Dennis at Classically Homeschooling
- MR.D MATH PRE-ALGEBRA REVIEW
- Red Bird
- STINKY KID MATH TUTORING REVIEW
- UNLOCK PRE-ALGEBRA BY UNLOCK MATH: HOMESCHOOL MATH CURRICULUM
- A Review of CTC Math for Homeschoolers
So ladies what are your favorite apps and which online/computer based math programs and supplements do I need to add to my list?Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.