We moved into our new house in March of 2014 and we have now been here over a year and a half. This house is a 1950’s ranch that we have decided to make large family friendly on a small budget. We have several projects that we are planning on tackling with a small budget.
Tips on Decorating on a Dime
- Join buy sell groups and pay attention to the lists when you are seriously or casually looking. I purchased all of these fixtures for under $225 from my homeschool buy sell loop, which normally only has books and the occasional car.
- Go into your local thrift stores often.
- Make a list of what you are doing and what you might need and keep that list with you.
- Be flexible…we love antique bronze but we settle for any bronze that looks antiqued even washed and will fit in with our decor. To me flexible means getting SUPER close to what I want.
What’s There and Where’s It All Going
All of the fixtures that I purchased were antique bronze or close to it.Seriously, I bought so much stuff I was worried I wasn’t going to be able to fit it into my 12 passenger van! All the Lightolier boxes contain recessed lighting. These pot lights will be going all over the house to help brighten the place up!
What we have
I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but here is the list from memory
- 10 dummy knobs
- 1 real door knob
- levered knob
- bathroom faucet
- 4-5 lights that hug the ceiling
- 1 scrolling light
- loads of pot lights
- 2 outdoor lights
- 3-4 complete ceiling fans
One of the 3 ceiling fans in the twins room which replaces a white one.
- The scrolling hanging light is installed in the hallway
- Door knob on the girls room replacing a silver metal colored one.
- Added a new light in the girls room closet
- Replaced light above the sink
- Ceiling fan replaced white one in the twins room
Now all of these things were purchased at Goodwill: the pillows reside on our couch, the purple tablecloth was for a bridal shower and was given to the bride, the plates are used for ladies fellowships at our home, the small basket holds my coffee supplies and the large basket holds CD’s in the kitchen. Unfortunately, the ($5) rug did not work out and we got rid of a few months ago. But other then that all of these goodwill finds found homes!
I really encourage you to watch the buy sell lists and stop into your local thrift stores as much as you can. You just never know what you’ll find. I will do an update on our remodel next week!! We have new color, more space and hopefully a pantry . They are working on the kitchen this week and will finish the girls room when the windows and other items arrive. I’ll let you know how we are saving money & hopefully staying on budget along the way!
Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.