This is what I would call a preliminary review as we have just completed the first quarter (9 th week) of this curriculum.
Disclaimer: We use this curriculum in a co-op and our co-op teacher has slightly modified it for our use.
Additionally, our co-op science teacher modified our syllabus so it would be a good fit for our bi-weekly co-op. We received our package with the modified syllabus (we all purchased a copy of the book). I just wanted to be clear that this is a slightly modified version of this curriculum.
This curriculum teaches physics in a hands on way. You begin each week by reading about the topic to be explored that week. Then we alternate each day between reading and doing an experiment. The experiments, with the all important explanations, are in either Physics for Children or Gizmos & Gadgets. My children have really enjoyed doing the experiments.
We did not purchase the science kit sold by Elemental Science. Instead our Science teacher put together an amazing science kits for each of the families.
What is included with Physics for the Grammar Stage:
- The Teacher’s Manual
- The Student Work book
Additional Items to Purchase for Physics for the Grammar Stage:
- Usborne book of Science
- Children’s Book of Physics
- Gizmos & Gadgets
These books are found pretty easily new. I had a more difficult time but I did find all of these required items used.
How we use for Physics for the Grammar Stage in our home:
- We added Focus on Physics K-3 because my kiddos struggled a bit understanding Chemistry last year. So this year I wanted to make sure I was able to hit the subject from several angles. This book is not necessary to do this curriculum well.
- We also read the books off of our twins Little Kids Phyics class.
- We just read the instructions and did the things that were available to do each day. So far we have only done one project the K’Nex and my kids absolutely love them.
- Science is the last thing that we do in morning gathering. First we release our 7th grader to math and then we dive into science.
- I start with a review of the material and then we dive into the new material. We study the vocabulary during the Morning Gathering.
We have really enjoyed using Elemental Science this year mostly because it provides covers several learning styles. The age of the children we have ding this really do learn best by doing. And Phyics for the Grammar Stage provides them with ample opportunity to do! I am planning on doing another review of this curriculum at the end of the year to let you know how it went. You’ll probably be able to find it over at The Curriculum Choice.Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.