We use Mystery of History by Bright Ideas Press as our spine. This is the 4th year we have used MOH in our homeschool. So far MOH Vol. 4 seems to be moving pretty quickly through the history this year so our co-op has decided to take a few extra weeks to dive into a couple of subjects and the first one of those subjects is the American Revolution. Here are some of the things we did to deepen our study of the American Revolution.
Another Resource that we are using with our children this year is Truth Quest. We are using Truth Quest to add essay questions to the 4 time periods that we diving more deeply into. Truth quest also has a wonderful book & movie list and is a very detailed history curriculum for those looking for a purely living book history course.
- America – YouTube
- Liberty’s Kids – American Revolution Episodes
- Sybil Ludington is a movie about the “Female Paul Revere” it is a small Christian production that is wonderful for the whole family.
- PBS The War That made America Documetary (2 parts) – YouTube – PBS documentary on the Revolutionary War. I didn’t care for their liberal commentary and pedantic comments, we only watched bits and pieces.
Kathy’s Cluttered Mind has an impressive list of Revolutionary War Films for Children.
Books about the American Revolution::
- George vs. George is a rather detailed summary of the war written in an easily understandable style. It has great pictures and really explains the multifaceted aspects of the war. This was our FAVORITE BOOK!
- George Washington’s Teeth was read to everyone but this book was picked out for our twin 5 year olds. It’s a lighthearted and brief summary of the war. All the kids enjoyed it.
Triumphant Living has a great list of Living Books about the Revolutionary War.
- The Liberty Tree
- Redcoats and Petticoats – The kids realy enjoyed this story of a Mama who was a spy for George Washington
- Valley Forge
- Crossing the Delaware
- Lexington & Concord
- If You Lived in the time of the American Revolution
More Posts About The American Revolution
Pinterest BoardsSave money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.