When I was asked to review a Vocabulary Program that was name WordUp, frankly I was a bit skeptical. However, as soon as I began watching WordUp! all of my concerns about a possibly edgy Vocabulary program were laid to rest and I quickly gathered up the kiddos to enjoy the show, and I mean show!
Word up! is a Vocabulary program that uses Greek and Latin roots to teach vocabulary. Their very engaging lessons are presented by Dwane Thomas and I have no idea how long each lesson is because they were so enjoyable I never checked the clock. Dwane Thomas uses a combination of some common words using the root word and dead pan humor to teach your child 20 new vocabulary words using Greek & Latin roots in a very effective manner.
::What you get::
- Access to Quizlet Quizzing
- Aimed at children 10+ but as you can see by that 4 year old in the middle it is very entertaining and I think kids as young as 8 could really benefit from this program.
::WordUp! in our home::
My kids really enjoyed it then we did God’s Design for Chemistry & Ecology’s Chapter on Crystals it was full of hydra words which happens to be the first root word they discuss. My kids were thrilled and they immediately grasped the importance of knowing Latin & Greek Roots.
- I like the simplicity of this program. We watch these videos as a family and I feel like we should make popcorn to go along with them. My Logic Stage kiddo then works on Quizlet all week long.
- We are currently studying chemistry and so many of the words that we have studied have overlapped our chemistry study. So as we were learning about dehydration we had the word hydra. I have begun having them underline the Latin/Greek roots we’ve found in their science and history programs. This vocabulary program is really reinforcing what my kiddos are learning.
- My 4th, 6th & 8th/9th grader are naturally throughout the week pointing out words that have the roots in them and accurately defining them.
Word up! is available at Compass Classroom.
::The Word on WordUP!::
- Increases their science vocabulary immediately
- A wonderful complement to an ongoing Latin Program
- Naturally increases your children’s vocabulary by giving them the tools to succeed.
- Although they claim to add 20 vocabulary new words toyour child’s lexicon, I really think the number is MUCH higher. Because it gives the child the tools to decipher any word they come across that has that root word in them.
- I also see a lot of potential for both long range benefits on the SAT/ACT and short range improvement on the Iowa or CAT tests that children may take in lower grades.
During the video Parker kept turning to me to tell me all the funny things that he had said and she really enjoyed the video. She also enjoyed to the quizlet cards and completing against the other folks that had done it. I ended up having to tell her it was time to stop doing Vocabulary!
I received this curriculum in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated in any way for the time spent reviewing this resource.Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.