The Dreaded Last Minute Curriculum Change
You probably haven’t heard of Cozy English, I know that I hadn’t, so let me tell you about it. First of all I found it in September after a frantic search for a new English program, after I realized I had made a mistake <sigh>when I had picked Winston Grammar. Don’t get me wrong I still think Winston Grammar is an excellent program however, it is more teacher intensive than our homeschool distinctives dictate. During this search I ran across Cozy English.
First Thoughts about Cozy Grammar
The first time we set up Cozy grammar the kids loved Mrs. Rackham they were enthralled by her. Mrs. Rackham looks like the quintessential English Teacher and it is clear that she really enjoys teaching. Literally while I was working on Speed Phonics with one of the children the rest all gathered around the computer to listen to Mrs. Rackham discuss types of sentences, as if they were watching the latest movie.
When I ran across Cozy Grammar I was looking for an independent program that provided a complete overview of Grammar that the children could complete independently. As I discussed in my post Our Language Arts Resources we are enjoying a year of intensive Language Arts and Cozy English’s Mastery approach & independent nature fit the bill.
What is included:
- Teaching DVD – The Cozy Grammar & Punctuation DVDs are for the children to watch.
- The CD has the Cozy Grammar or Cozy Punctuation Workbooks on them. The Workbooks come in PDF format that you can print out. We printed ours and had them bound at Office Max and added dividers.
- You also recieve answer keys which I had bound in a separate manual.
Cozy English Grammar lessons look like this in our home:
- The children watch the teaching videos on Monday and do 1 exercise.
- Then they complete 1 exercise each day.
- There are periodic tests to evaluate the students progress.
- Cozy English is a mastery program.
What I like about Cozy English
- It’s really easy to implement.
- I really like the fact that it allows my children to work independently on their grammar and punctuation.
- It doesn’t take a long time for them to finish their English assignments.
- Mrs. Rackham is really very pleasant to watch and she explains concepts in simple easily understandable terms. If children do not understand the excercises it is usually because they did not watch the video.
- The same program can be done with children in different grade levels , about 3rd -7th grade.
What I dislike
- I wish they had a bit more practice and some review built into the program.
Where to find Cozy English:
Cozy English Grammar & Punctuation is only available from the publisher. They also have an Essay course and a free spelling course. The product arrives quickly after it is ordered and it is well packaged. You can visit and their facebook page and please give them a”like” if you have a moment .
Overall thoughts about Cozy English
We have been using Cozy since the beginning of the year and we are very happy with the program. Like most things in our homeschool we are slowly working our way through the rather large workbook as we attempt to reach a mastery level in English Grammar & Punctuation and it is one of our favorite Language Arts Resources. This very enjoyable easy to execute English curriculum that can be used with multiple children.Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.