So when I decided to write this post I thought I’d write a quick little post to tell you what we use for language arts in our homeschool. But when I laid all that we are doing for Language Arts my thought was: “WOW! we are doing too much”. But upon further reflection I was reminded that our Language Arts path is a bit different this year, as we have a concentrated focus on Language Arts.
Last year we took a standardized test and my kiddos did not score as well as I would have liked in Language Arts. Don’t get me wrong everyone is doing “fine” they just didn’t perform as well as I hoped they would. So this year we are focusing on Grammar, Punctuation and vocabulary. So keep in mind that this year is what I would consider an intensive Language Arts.
Our Language Arts Resources
- Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization SET of 2-Workbook and CD (A Mastery Learning Approach) – This is a poetry memorization program that we do in the morning during our morning gathering.
- Building Spelling Skills Book 6 & 4 – This is Christian Liberty Press’s Spelling program which incorporates spelling/phonics rules. In older editions it starts teaching Greek & Latin Roots.
- Cozy Grammar – This is a DVD based curriculum with a comprehensive workbook & Tests. I will be doing a review on this curriculum later this month.
- Cozy Punctuation (only done by 6th grader)- Just like Cozy Grammar it is a DVD based curriculum with a comprehensive workbook.
- All-In-One English (Straight Forward English Series)-This is a recommendation I found on the My Father’s Wold website they said: “An excellent, simple-to-use first-year course that teaches all eight parts of speech and reviews capitalization and punctuation.” We seek mastery around here so this is the book I use for remediation and reach mastery when necessary , it also has Beginning & Ending Assessments.
- Classical Composition: Fable Stage Student Book – This is a wonderful Classical writing program that using imitation to teach writing.
- Daily Paragraph Editing, Grade 5 (done every other Friday)- Paragraph Editing is just that a book of paragraphs to edit. We do this like a “workshop” every two weeks with the children learning how to identify and correct errors. Basically, we are applying what we learned over the past two weeks in Grammar & Punctuation.
- Word Roots Level A1 Software (Done 3x per week) – This is a Greek & Latin roots Vocabulary program where they are using a knowledge of vocabulary words to build a city.
- Classically Cursive: Bible Primer Book 1 (done 1x per week) – A beautiful Cursive book in which the students practice cursive while writing the Westminster Cathecism.
We also utilize Ruth Keller’s Living grammar books to help introduce grammar topics to our grammar stage children.
Our Language Arts Extra Resources
- Ruth Keller’s Grammar – These are living grammar books that I will leave in our free reading basket.
- Spelling CityTrend Enterprises Inc. Challenge Cards Spellominoes – A Spelling game that is like dominoes.
- Spelling City – Spelling city is a free or paid site that allows you enter spelling lists and that kids can play games and take tests. We currently have the paid subscription.
- Ultimate Spelling – We have a child that struggles with spelling and we are going to use this program to help her get extra practice.
What are your Language Arts Resources? Have you heard of Cozy Grammar before? Is there anything you use that you JUST LOVE!? Do tell…Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.