What is the secret to getting dinner on the table every night?
When running a home time is always of the essence and it always seems like there is not enough of it. So in order to get meals on the table consistently to avoid fast foods which are not good for my family but especially not good for my husband and I. I have 5 to-dos to get dinner on the table consistently!
- Pre-brown meat – I do is while I am making something that needs browned meat or when I am unloading groceries . I brown the meats and then I bag them and put them in the freezer until I need it. This saves me time browning the meat and washing the pans used to brown the meat and of course cleaning the splatter grease off the stove. Do you get the picture this is saving me a half hour every time I use a package of pre-browned meat. It can make a meal like tacos a 5 minute preparation time or spaghetti I just throw the meat into the pre-made sauce…Are you feeling the freedom. By the way I also do this with chicken which probably saves me an hour of time because it takes chicken longer to cook!
- I buy cheese in bulk from Sams (when I cannot find a good sale) and pack it into 2 cup baggies. So any baggie I grab from the freezer is 2 cups. no need to measure or wash the measuring cup, I can just dump it in.
- I divide meat into amounts my family eats at one meal. These two packs are 3# of meat each and they are equal to the amount of meat we would use to make meat loaf or hamburgers. I also put 1# baggies of meat in the freezer for
- I buy Bulk sizes when it makes economical sense. By buying a lot of one item I normally divide it up and freeze it.
- Keep essential ingredients on hand. For us this is Rotel, Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom and canned peaches on hand in bulk at all times. I often put a few cans of these essentials on my shopping list just so I have them so I cam make an Emergency Meal.
- Have a Meal Plan
By the way the secret is time used wisely.