You know the feeling, you are on your way and it’s way after 6 p.m. and everyone is grumbling and hungry. But you know the cupboard is bare or that it’s going to take you at least an hour to get the food on the table. That will throw off the rest of the night, pushing bedtime back to 10 pm and leaving you with cranky kids the next day! The simplest thing at the moment to do is to stop and grab so fast food and head home and maintain the schedule. But what if with a bit a planning you could avoid the Fast Food Trap?
5 Steps to avoid Fast Food
- Meal plan with your weekly schedule in mind, if you have a busy day make sure you have a crock pot meal on the agenda so when you get home you are too tired to cook and will feel like you must grab fast food.
- Double up on what you cook so you can freeze some of it’ and you have ready to go homemade food in your freezer. If you cannot double what you are cooking then buy a few pre-made meals like Lasagnas, Taquitos or one of those any large frozen casserole. They are not the healthiest thing you can eat but the beat eating fast food any day!
- Pre-cook your meats so your meat is frozen and ready to go in the freezer so you can throw a meal together without a lot of prep work. If getting dinner on the table is just a matter of opening 3-4 cans & a bag of pre-cooked meat you can have it ready in a matter of minutes with very little effort.
- Pre-cut and freeze your veggies (onions, green peppers esp..) so you can simply toss them in. I like to flash freeze these items so I can simply scoop it out and put it in to the meal.
- Declare a Smorgasbord and just pull out leftovers and set up a buffet. Or eat sandwiches or cereals or whatever you know you have on hand. We must recognize it is okay to feed your family sandwiches, left overs, cereal or what ever. It’s normally much healthier then fast food!
Additional Resources to avoid Fast Food:
- Do you need help reigning in the Fast Food Monster , meal planning or saving Money on Food? Check out my e-book “Simple Guide to Save Money on Food” .
- Grocery Shopping & More Meal Planning (Beg. Level)
- Pre-cut Veggies
- Pre-brown your meats
Finally, remember to give yourself grace as you work on quickly eliminating the fast food consumption at your home. But within a few weeks you should be able to regain the reigns of control at your home.
God be with you!Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.