Last week I gave you some ultra cheap breakfast items, this week we will continue looking at how we save money at Breakfast time.
5 Tips to Save Money at the Breakfast Table
- Use Leftovers – I use left overs, if we have biscuits we have biscuits & gravy, leftover mashed taters we have potato pancakes. So look at your dinner left overs as tomorrows breakfast!
- Don’t waste leftover breakfast -If I make too many pancakes or waffles I freeze them and save them for Sunday when I do not cook or for another day when we are in a rush.
- Over bake – Additionally, anytime I make muffins I intentionally double the amount so I have some to freeze so I can serve them when I am in a pinch. This has saved us countless trips to McDonalds or a doughnut shop on a rushed morning.
- Get good recipes – In order to avoid the doughnut shop I had to learn to make the breakfast items that my family loves to get (donuts, kolaches or breakfast burritos) from the doughnut shop! They prefer my pumpkin spice doughnuts to anything at Dunkin’ Donuts and we make breakfast burritos and I’m learning how to make kolaches (a polish breakfast treat, it’s a sausage wrapped in a sweet dough. It is different from a pig in a blanket, way tastier). I also make these treats when we have quests come to stay with us. So they can experience authentic Texas cuisine at bargain basement prices.
- Create a breakfast schedule (I prefer a 2 week schedule because I like variety) I have a 2 week long breakfast schedule posted on my fridge. So I know what I am making everyday and I might only change 1x each year if we get sick of something. I made it two weeks long because that provided us with enough variety so we could avoid getting sick of any certain food. Additionally, in the morning I no longer have to ponder “What’s for breakfast?” CONFESSION: I often make something else for myself, I HAVE to avoid carbs (for my health) so I might have an egg or two if we are having a carb heavy breakfast.
So here are my 5 tips to save money at breakfast, what ways have you found to save money at the breakfast table?
Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.
Kyle is a full time frugal wife of Wayneand Mama to 5 adorable children: Peyton (15), Parker (10),Pearson (8), Parson (3) & Providence (3). My hope is to present families with an attainable simplified model of classical education with a Charlotte Mason twist.She likes listening to audio books, watching the kids play sports or piano & doing anything with my husband! She likes to do all of that while having a cup of coffee! You can find her blogging on a regular basis here at Aspired Living, The Curriculum Choice & Womanhood with Purpose.