The Bible says that God’s word does not return void and I believe that is true. I also think that also indicates that words are important (not to put novels anywhere near God’s word) but that what we put into our minds and hearts effects us and helps to shape who we are and who we will become. So as I choose our summer reading I consider the value of the input that I am putting into my child and I hope you will find these books help to shape character, challenge the imagination and as always bring you and your children closer to the Lord our God. So no matter If you are reading aloud or listening to an audio recording here is a list of some of our favorite books that you won’t want to miss, even if you can’t fit them all in this summer.
Mom’s Choices for
Amazing Summer Reading….
- Kingdom’s Dawn (Kingdom, Book 1) – We listened to this one on audio last year and it was awesome. I was sorry when it was over! “A Riveting Medieval Parallel to the Bible Good and evil clash. Leinad and Cedric are determined to not only survive, but claim hope and victory! In Kingdom’s Dawn , Leinad and Tess, along with all the king’s people, must escape slavery by the powerful Lord Fairos. ” from Amazon
- The Chronicles of Prydain Boxed Set -“Millions of young readers have been enthralled by the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and his lively companions as they journey through the magical land of Prydain.”from Amazon
- Understood Betsy is the story of an orphaned girl and how she finally knows she is a part of her forever family. Get the kleenex for the end of the book and get ready for the happy tears.
- Classic Starts: Five Little Peppers and How They Grew (Classic Starts Series)-We listened to this on audio and it is the tale of the Pepper family and how they grow up. “To help mother”: that was the goal of each and every one of the five Pepper children. Yet even as “Mamsie” struggles hard to feed and educate her brood, she still manages to fill the house with joy. The adventures of this poor but loving family—Ben, Polly, Joel, Davie, and the adored youngest, Phronsie—have charmed young readers for more than a century. Overflowing with warmth, suspense, and many delightful surprises, this classic remains as compelling as ever.” from Amazon
- Brighty of the Grand Canyon (Marguerite Henry Horseshoe Library)-Who knew the life of a donkey in the Grand was so exciting. This is a great adventure book that we may re-read this summer! “Long ago, a lone little burro roamed the high cliffs of the Grand Canyon and touched the hearts of all who knew him: a grizzled old miner, a big-game hunter, even President Teddy Roosevelt. Named Brighty by the prospector who befriended him, he remained a free spirit at heart. But when a ruthless claim-jumper murdered the prospector, loyal Brighty risked everything to bring the killer to justice. ” from Amazon
- Summer with the Moodys (Moody Family Series) – “Summer with the Moodys is the first book in the Moody Family Series. This book celebrates the adventures of everyday life in a Christian family! Come along with the Moodys as they help a widowed neighbor, start small businesses for the children, enjoy a family fun night, live normal life, and wrap up the book with two special surprises! Woven throughout the book is the Moodys’ love for the Lord and their enjoyment of time together. Children (parents too!) will love Mr. and Mrs. Moody, Max, Mollie, Mitch, and Maddie—they’ll come away challenged and encouraged.” from Amazon This is one of our families favorite book series
As we move into the children’s section you may note my kids read a wide variety of things and they have not ,yet, developed a zeal for the Lord in their reading selections. However, all of the books they read are wholesome with respectful children and appropriate story lines.
I hope you found something you haven’t heard of before and something to pursue in the future and that you have a wonderful word filled summer!