Welcome to part 3 of the Beginner’s Guide to Saving Money.
If this is your first visit you may want to read
- Part 1- Beginner’s Guide to Saving Money on Clothes
- Part 2- Beginner’s Guide to Saving Money on Shelter
We save money on food in a variety of ways some that take very little time and some take a bit more time but all of them result in savings. My suggestion is to pick a few of these ways and slowly incorporate them into your shopping method.
- Use Coupons at the grocery store and price match.
- Avoid eating out – If you can learn how to cook well then you will be able to feed your family well and hopefully the cravings for fast food and restaurant food will dissipate.
- When you do eat out use a coupon and/or look for kids eat free options. When you order your food get water instead of soda and save 1.50+ on each meal. Skip the appetizers and the dessert and buy some fancy ice Cream on th
e way home instead!
- Swagbucks has grocery coupons and you earn 10 SB for each coupon used. So for every 50 coupons used you earn an apx. $5 gift card. I’ve used my swagbucks giftcards to buy things at Amazon or get Starbucks for years.
- Cart 51 & Ibotta are both android apps that you earn money when you shop. They are not effected by the use of coupons. You simply have to have a receipt with the correct item purchased on it and you get the credit. I tend to use Cart51 because it is less specific then Ibotta but both of them return a % of your purchase.
- Use a grocery shopping list. You can use Ziplist like me, paper, pre-printed list but whatever you do have a list don’t let your eyes and your stomach guide your shopping trip.
- Menu Planning – I use ziplist to plan our meals, create my grocery list & store recipes. It syncs with Google Calendar so I can see my meal plan for the day when I check my calendar. Additionally, it lists all the sales for the items that are on my list. Menu planning prevents random trips to the grocery store where copious amounts of money is spent needlessly.
- Stack Savings- This is when you use more then one coupon on online savings method on a single item. So perhaps you have a coupon, online coupon, ibotta & cart 51 savings on Suave this increases your savings.
- Check the Clearance Rack
- We buy clearance meat and freeze it until we are ready to eat it.
- Buy Meat on Sale and stock up on it
- Read The Complete Tightwad Gazette
- Read America’s Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
I have written a lot about Grocery shopping so here is your homework a few posts on consistently saving money at the grocery store.
- Grocery Shopping and More I
- Grocery Shopping and More II: Save Time & Money in the Kitchen
- Grocery Shopping and More III: Price Matching
- Grocery Shopping & More IV: Frugal Food Pyramid
- Grocery Shopping and More VI: Cheap Tricks
- Grocery Shopping and more VII: The Clearance Rack
- Grocery Shopping and More: .99 cent Store
So how do you save money on food in your corner of the world?
Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe! Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.