Although, we have a tight budget we want to follow the precepts found in Trim Healthy Mama. Although some things are pretty expensive many of the items in THM foods can be purchased inexpensively or easily made for the budget conscious. Since we are definitely budgeting I am always looking for or creating frugal tasty recipes for our whole family to enjoy.. Who wants to constantly make two separate meals, not me! So I’ve included how to adjust this for your family at the bottom.
Chicken Tostada on a cheese crisp
2 1/2 cup of cheese
2 cup diced meat (prefer chicken)
whole wheat tortillas (for the family)
To make the cheese crisp
- Take 1/4 cup of the cheese and make a round shape on a greased cookie sheet, do it again with the other 1/2 of the cheese (This recipe allows for 4 crisps)
- Bake at 350 degrees until the edges brown and the cheese looks hard which is apx. 6-10 minutes
- Remove from the cookie sheet
THM Tostada Preparation
- Place chicken (or meat of choice) onto the cheese crisp tortilla/Whole Wheat Tortilla
- top with cheese, chicken unlimited lettuce & some tomatoes
- add any optional toppings now
We serve these tostadas with non-starchy vegetables & Mexican rice (for the children).
***Note due to a discussion on THM Facebook group this recipe was modified to eliminate the beans. With the beans this is a cross over which is good for maintenance not loss.
Trim Health Mama Weekly Menu
- bold itialicized not eaten by THMers
- Italicized are my menu modifications
- Assume all the breads for my high metabolism children are whole wheat
- I am working to make a 60 day totally friendly THM Meal plan for our family. But for now we make lots of modifications to the foods we are used to eating.
Sunday– Le Madeline Tomato Soup w/ grilled cheese sandwiches
Monday: Boston’s (Grown ups) Children get whatever our dear friends feed them
, Rice & Cornbread
Thursday– (S w/o fries or an e with them)Sloppy Joe’s, brocolli, sweet potato french fries (in Joseph’s pita’s for THMers) – Hubby will eat the sweet potato french fries I will not because I am still trying to lose weight. Thus this is an (s for me)
– Amazing Calzones
& Salad – I’ll make this and cook it in a Joseph’s pita (S)
Saturday – Tostadas (see above) with non broccoli
Please let me know what you do to make your food frugal and THM friendly!
Linked to:Orgjunkie & Gwen’s Nest
Save money, time and get it done, go ahead and subscribe!
Often my posts contain affiliate links. Affiliate link purchases help us to pay for this blog and for our curriculum. Thank you for using them when you are able.
Kyle is a full time frugal wife of Wayneand Mama to 5 adorable children: Peyton (15), Parker (10),Pearson (8), Parson (3) & Providence (3). My hope is to present families with an attainable simplified model of classical education with a Charlotte Mason twist.She likes listening to audio books, watching the kids play sports or piano & doing anything with my husband! She likes to do all of that while having a cup of coffee! You can find her blogging on a regular basis here at Aspired Living, The Curriculum Choice & Womanhood with Purpose.
Latest posts by Aspired Living (see all)